Letter of Recommendation
Position of Trust, Special Duty, and/or Employment Position
Key Points to Writing
- Remember, there the purpose for the letter.
- Use the right words, utilize a resource like
- Use a spell checker (F7 Word)
and avoid common misspellings
- Watch Tense Shifts, going from "s" to "ed"
Keep the text simple
- Avoid acronyms and jargon, the people reading the letter
are not familiar with it.
The following Example was taken from a Word document. If you have anything you would like to
submit, please do so.
If you have found this information useful, please let me know as each letter has taken a considerable amount of time to prepare.
Copy Directly on to Unit Letter Head!
To Whom It May Concern
I have known [First M. Last Name] professionally
since June 1988. At that time, he was a Wang
Computer Operator. I had just been hired as a Senior Technical Analyst as a part
Sales' efforts to convert some of its software packages from Wang to a newly
acquired IBM 3090
In September of 1988, [First Name] was transferred
to Technical Support. As the Senior member
of the team, I have worked very closely with him and have seen the many
he has made.
[First Name] has become thoroughly familiar with
JCL. He has learned Assembler Language and has
used it to write several programs and subroutines used in functions and
facilities written by him.
Some of his accomplishments include:
- The development of an ISPF based Problem Reporting System
- An Operation menu whose options allow operators to submit a
number of production jobs,
entering input parameters on-line.
- Installation of several software packages including Easytrieve
Plus and Wizard Mail.
- Continued support of the Wang computer, writing interface
software to help the transition
of data and programs from that system to the IBM.
[First Name] has gained a tremendous amount of
knowledge in the fifteen months since his transfer
to Technical Support to the writing of this letter. He has been a willing and
His contributions to the team have been many.
I sincerely recommend [First Name] as a hard
working, intelligent employee who would be an asset
to any organization of which he is a part.
[First M. Last Name]
Senior Technical Analyst
Phone (###) ###-#### Ext. ##
Note: Signature lines are 5 spaces below the last line of text.